Monday, November 18, 2013

You mean I actually have to work today??

I am setting up a display table for World Heritage at a high school tonight. Frank made me a display board yesterday and I will pass out information to those families that wish their child to study abroad or who wish to host an exchange student for next year.

 
Since I won't be home for dinner (or yoga for that matter) I am making up some tomato soup for Frank to heat up and serve with sandwiches.  Everyone loves my tomato soup except for Ting, she asked what was for dinner tonight and then asked Frank if he wanted her to bring him some Chinese carry out when she picked hers up LOL. Ting's opinion not withstanding, please give this soup a try.  It is easy to make and absolutely delicious. I often use it as a first course when I have a dinner party.
 
 
Put all these ingredients and some sugar and salt into a saucepan.
 
 
Use 1 can of tomatoes with juice and the juice of the second can.
I just drain the juice from the can with the lid, so I am not dirtying strainer and bowl.
Set aside the tomato pieces. 
 
 
Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
 
 
I place my food mill over my 2 quart measuring cup.
Food mills are inexpensive and indispensable in my kitchen.
I use it for soups, when canning apple and pear sauce, ricing potatoes, etc.
 
 
I melt the butter in the same pan as I puree the tomato and spices.
You don't want to rinse the pan first.
All that crusty stuff from the bottom and sides helps flavor your soup.
 
 
Remove the bay leaf and turn the crank until all that is left in the mill is solids.
 
 
And leaves you with this beautiful smooth puree.
 
 
Add a 1/4 cup of flour to the butter making a roux.
 
 
Add the milk and stir continuously until it comes to a boil and thickens.
 
 
Off heat, whisk in your tomatoes and then add your tomato pieces.
 
 
Enjoy!! 
 
 
Tomato Soup
 
2 (1 lb) cans diced tomatoes
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. onion powder
1/4 t. basil
1/4 t. white pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
4 c. milk (I use 1%)
 
Place one can of tomatoes with its juices and the juice from the second can of tomatoes into a large saucepan.  Reserve the tomatoes from the second can for later.  Add the bouillon, sugar, salt, onion powder, basil, pepper and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min.
 
Remove bay leaf and force mixture through a food mill or a sieve into a bowl. Set aside.
 
In same sauce pan, melt butter and mix in flour until smooth, creating a roux.  Gradually stir in the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.  Remove from heat and whisk in the tomato puree.  Add the reserved tomato pieces. Return to heat and warm through stirring often. Print Recipe.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.