Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Let's get pickled for #handcraftededibles




On the 5th Week of Christmas my true love gave to me.....

A lovely little onion in a citrusy martini.


In an effort to make all of her holiday gifts this year my friend, Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla invited some of her favorite foodie bloggers (including me!!) to share recipes for hand-crafted edibles. Over the course of twelve weeks, we'll be sharing recipes from adorable jarred gifts (last week's theme) to cookie platters and everything in between. Hope you'll follow along for inspiration. You can find out more information, including the schedule: here.

This week, we're continuing our homemade libations - here's the first installment that kicked off the series, Libations, Part I - and here we are at Part II.

I missed the  first week of this party and therefore wasn't planning on participating in this week either but Camilla twisted my arm so I decided to make up some cocktail onions with a twist.  I added some citrus flavorings to the pickling brine and then Frank used Citrus Vodka to create this Citrus and Spice and Everything Nice Martini.




These little sweethearts would be perfect in a basket with a Martini Shaker and a couple of Martini Glasses for that hard to buy for couple that we all have in our lives.  I am going to put them in a basket along with a bottle of Citrus Vodka and the recipe Frank created as a special gift to some special friends.  This recipe will make 1 pint or 2 half pints of cocktail onions and will keep in the refrigerator for up to two months.



Citrusy Cocktail Onions

10 oz. pearl onions
1 t. black peppercorns
1 t. mustard seeds
1/2 cup sugar
zest and juice from 1 small lime
zest and juice from 1 small lemon
1/2 c. dry vermouth
1 c. white wine vinegar
1 c. water

Place the pearl onions in a pan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place the onions under cold running water.  When onions are cool, cut off the stem end and holding the root end squeeze the onion from the skin.  Set aside.

Place remaining ingredients in a large pot over med high heat.  Stir and cook until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil.  Add the onions and boil for only 1 minute.  Remove pan from heat and cool to room temperature.  Ladle the contents into clean jars with lids.  Refrigerate for up to two months.  Print Recipe






Thanks to these fabulous, cocktail-serving gals for these creations:

Next week, check back for our recipes for jams and jellies. Or check out our #handcraftededibles pinterest board.


7 comments:

  1. I think I would end up eating this out of the jar. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good, I am thinking of using them with a beef roast.

      Delete
  2. Okay. I'm convinced! I'll make these for this year holiday season. Thanks for sharing, Wendy, and for joining us this week after all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet gift this would make!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not usually an onion person, but I think even I could enjoy a few of these!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.