Friday, March 18, 2016

Sea Bass and Shrimp en Papillote #FishFridayFoodies

I am so excited about this month's Fish Friday Foodies theme.  It was chosen by our friend, Karen, of Karen's Kitchen Stories.  Karen decided we should all cook en papillote.  En papillote is a French term for in parchment.  It is a wonderful method of cooking wherein whatever is in the packet, steams as it bakes in the oven.

A couple of years ago I shared a recipe for Fish in Foil that I cooked on the grill.  This is the Americanized version of a cooking method popular in Europe forever.  You can use parchment paper, foil or even a paper bag but the method is the same.  Place your food inside along with aromatics, seasonings and a little liquid and put it in a hot oven or over hot coals for a few minutes.  You will open the packet to find a beautifully cooked and flavorful meal.


  1. I used foil lined parchment paper.  Fold the paper in half and reopen.  Center the fish on the paper near the fold.  I then seasoned with salt and pepper and topped with my first aromatic, thinly sliced fennel.
  2. I layered on thinly sliced orange pieces.
  3. Added 4 shrimp on top.
  4. Sealed the packets and placed onto a baking sheet.
  5. Baked in a preheated 425* oven for 10 minutes.
  6. Carefully open the packets so the steam doesn't burn you.  The fish and shrimp are cooked perfectly.
  7. I made a gremolata topping while the fish baked.



       8. Transfer to a plate and top with the gremolata before serving.

I am so excited about this group.  I never dreamed when I started it that I would have so many friends who would want to join me in this adventure. Please make sure that you scroll down past my recipe to see what the others are sharing this month.

I want to just request that when buying and serving seafood or fish you make sure that the product you are serving is sustainable. Visit Seafood Watch and you will be able to print out a guide to carry with you when you go to the fishmonger.

We would love to have you join our group.  Just leave a comment here or a request on our facebook page.  Next month Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla is hosting and the theme is Whole Fish.

Sea Bass and Shrimp en Papillote
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #110

1 (6 oz) sea bass fillet per person
4 lg. shrimp per person
salt and pepper to taste
thinly sliced oranges
thinly sliced fennel bulb
1 T. white wine per packet


For GremolataThis recipe is for 4 packets.  Adjust as needed.

1/2 c. fennel fronds, chopped
1/2 c. chopped pitted kalamata olives
2 T. pine nuts, toasted
1 T. small capers
1 T. orange zest
1 T. orange juice
1 T. minced garlic

Fold a 12x16" piece of parchment in half for each fillet you will be making.  Open the parchment and center a fillet on each, near the seam.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cover the fillet with the fennel and then with the orange slices.  Top each with a tablespoon of white wine and then place 4 shrimp on top of each.

Fold the top of the parchment over the fish and match the edges with the bottom sheet.  Fold over 1/2" of edges, pleating every inch, until packet is sealed.  Place onto a baking sheet, 2 packets per sheet.  Roast in a preheated 425* oven for 10 minutes.

While fish is roasting, combine ingredients for gremolata into a small bowl.  Remove fish from oven and carefully open the packets.  Remove fish fillet with the toppings onto a plate and sprinkle with the gremolata.  Print Recipe



8 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.