Sunday, May 8, 2016

Fried Chicken with a Kick for #SundaySupper


Sarah of The Chef Next Door is hosting Sunday Supper this week and has chosen the fun theme of:

Spice is Nice & Some Like it Hot


I am a spice lover.  I like some heat but not so much that it drowns out the flavor.  Definitely give me some jalapenos or Hungarian peppers but I will pass on the Habanero chiles.  My husband, on the other hand, is very spice sensitive.  I can add a touch of heat in his dishes but certainly nothing more than just a tickle on the back of his tongue.  If it makes his nose run....he runs in the opposite direction.  I just grab myself some more napkins LOL.

I love Spicy Southern Fried Chicken but don't normally make it, instead I just use this recipe as my go to Fried Chicken.  When Sarah suggested spicing things up I decided to add a few dashes of hot sauce and some chili paste to my buttermilk soaking liquid and some cayenne pepper to my seasoned flour.  The results were a perfectly seasoned fried chicken that satisfied my urge for spice but was still enjoyable for Frank.  Our daughter and granddaughter had joined us for dinner and they both gave it a thumbs up as well so I think this will now be my go to Fried Chicken recipe.



Fried Chicken with a Kick

1 broiler/fryer cut into 10 pieces, back reserved for another use
1 qt. buttermilk
4 shakes of hot sauce
1/4 t. chile pepper paste
1 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 t. paprika
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
Cooking oil to reach 2" up the side of a large skillet (preferably cast iron)

Combine buttermilk, hot sauce and chile pepper paste.  Pour over chicken pieces, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs and up to 24 hrs.

Combine flour and seasonings in a large plastic bag that seals shut.  Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk and place a few pieces at a time into the plastic bag and shake, covering with flour. Fry chicken, in batches, in hot oil until crisp and golden brown.  As each batch finishes browning place onto a foil lined baking sheet.  When all the chicken is crisp and golden brown, place into a preheated 350* oven and bake for 30 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165*.  Print Recipe

Add some spice to your week with these great recipes

Aromatic Appetizers
Distinctive Drinks
Daring Desserts
Masterful Mains
Seasoned Sides
Plus Homemade Ginger Ale and Spice is Nice Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement

 Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Fried Chicken. I wish someone would make it for me super crispy and spicy, never so much that it kills my tastebuds. I'm with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope someone makes you some too Kimberlie, if not....stop by...I am happy to share

      Delete
  2. I can definitely relate to your husband :) Great read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Frank when it comes to spice. This recipe sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be perfect when one day we get together for dinner.

      Delete
  4. Spicy is how I like fried chicken (and a whole bunch of other things too). Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.