Friday, March 2, 2018

Colcannon for #StPatricksDay

Today we are sharing St. Patrick's Day Recipes with our Festive Foodies group under the direction of our friend Carlee from Cooking with Carlee.

No automatic alt text available.

Our pastor is from Ireland and it tickles him that St. Patrick's Day is such a thing here.  Evidently it is not celebrated in Ireland as it is here.  In fact, the thought of green beer?  Well, it makes him turn green LOL.

He, however, is always up for a toast and a party so perhaps that is where the American tradition started.  Whatever the reason.....we do whoop it up around here.  We have parades.  We eat corned beef and cabbage.   We party and yes, we drink beer tinted green.

I often have dinner parties to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, especially since my brother's birthday is on the 18th of March.  We are not Irish but it gives me a theme for his birthday dinner when we have it.

The dish I am serving today wasn't made for my brother's birthday but it was made for a family dinner and served along with a Roast Pork Loin and a wonderful Apple/Fennel and Beet Salad.  


This combination of potatoes, cabbage and kale hails from Medieval Ireland and comes from the Gaelic, cal ceannann, which means white headed cabbage.

The recipe that I'm sharing with you today comes from Cuisine at Home and was part of a Springtime menu that they shared.  I actually made the entire menu for dinner and was very pleased with the outcome. 


Creamy and delicious, these potatoes take no more work than regular mashed potatoes but add lots of nutrition with the cruciferous veggies that are included.  Everything gets boiled up together, drained and placed back into the pan and onto the burner for a few minutes to make sure the ingredients are dry before adding the butter and cream and hand mashing to a delicious finish.  The final touch is to stir in some grated Irish white cheddar and the results are magnificent.


This recipe fed 6 of us for dinner with just enough left over for me to make Colcannon Potato Pancakes for Meatless Monday the next day for dinner for me and Frank.

You will find a whole slew of St. Pat's recipes linked below and there is tons of time for you to plan your celebration.  

Colcannon
adapted from Cuisine at Home

4 large gold potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1/2 head of cabbage, cored and sliced
1 bunch kale, stems removed, coarsely chopped
1/2 stick butter
1/2 c. half and half
3 oz. white cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

Place the potatoes and cabbage in a large pot and cover with salted water.  Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 10 minutes.  Add the kale and continue to cook until potatoes are for tender, another 10 minutes or so.  Drain, return to the pot and place over low heat, stirring occasionally until all ingredients are dry.  Place the half and half and butter in a small saucepan or microwave safe measuring cup and heat until warm and butter is melted.  Add to the potatoes and mash by hand.  Stir in the cheese. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.  Print Recipe

More St. Pat's Recipes


20 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, and I love the idea of turning the leftovers into potato pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you too celebrate your brother's birthday for St. Patrick's Day! Yet another thing we have in common! I'm also a huge fan of Colcannon...it's great hangover food...especially the day after drinking too much green beer! (CRINGE!!! I'm with your pastor on that one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...Happy Birthday to your brother up in heaven Colleen. I too, have a brother in heaven. Losing a sibling is the hardest thing ever. Perhaps they will share a green beer together this year.

      Delete
  3. Colcannon is one of my favorite dishes for St. Patrick's day. What's funny, is the Irish in Ireland are beginning to celebrate the day the same way we do! It's evidently a new thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny Karen....Any excuse for a celebration is a good one.

      Delete
  4. Colcannon is something I know I'll love, but I have yet to make it. I need to get on it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who says St. Patrick's Day has to be about green beer? Not me! I think this year we'll stay home and enjoy a little luck of the Irish with some corned beef and this wonderful comforting side dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the ingredients in here. Together it sounds dynamite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love colcannon and your version sounds so wonderful! It is a great side dish to eat all year round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Amy. It will be made here throughout the year now that we see how delicious it is.

      Delete
  8. mmm! I love this version with cabbage, Kale and cheese! Going to have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Irish white cheddar cheese sounds like the perfect addition to this delicious looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese and potatoes are so wonderful together. This dish is definitely a keeper

      Delete
  10. How fun your pastor is Irish. I bet he has a grand time with our American celebrations! Your dish looks warm and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun....and he has that very dry Irish humor. Not all the parishioners know how to take him.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.