Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Beet Slaw #KitchenMatrixCookingProject

Welcome to the 2nd edition of the Kitchen Matrix Cooking Project.  A few of us, under the direction of Cam from Culinary Adventures with Camilla, are cooking our way through Mark Bittman's Kitchen Matrix cookbook this year.


We kicked it off last week with appetizers, specifically Party Dips.  I shared my take on Bittman's Potted Shrimp that I shared during a Christmas Cocktail Party.

The dish I am sharing with you today, was also served at a Christmas party.  My last of the year, when we celebrated Little Christmas or Epiphany with our family that lives in Traverse City, about 5 hrs. north of us.

Our theme for today was Raw Beets.  Bittman shared a recipe for a Borscht Salad.  My niece, great niece, Frank and I are beet lovers so I knew it would be a welcome addition to the meal.  

This is more of a slaw type salad.  I loved the dill flavoring and the hard boiled egg but thought it needed a little more oomph.  So I added more sour cream and some chopped bacon to the leftovers and took it to Roz and Ron's when we went to celebrate Little Christmas at their house on Sunday.  The bacon added the oomph for which I was searching.


As Frank said when I asked him what he thought of the idea of adding bacon...."Everything is better with Bacon in it".  I am adding the crumbled bacon addition to the recipe below.  Feel free to add it, or not, as the mood strikes.  This entire cookbook is all about taking a basic recipe and making it your own.

You will find how the others used Raw Beets in the links below this recipe.  Enjoy. 

Beet Slaw
adapted from Kitchen Matrix

3 small beets, peeled 
2 c. shredded cabbage
1 egg, hard boiled
5 strips bacon, cooked crisp and cut into small dice
1/3 c. sour cream
2 T. fresh dill fronds, minced

Cut the beets into chunks and place into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely grated. (You can use any method you like for grating but this is the easiest I had found and it keeps your fingers from turning red.)

Place the beets in a large bowl with the cabbage. Chop the egg and add to the bowl along with the bacon bits.  Toss all ingredients together.  Add the sour cream and the dill weed. Fold into the ingredients until well coated.  Print Recipe

Here is what the others created with Raw Beets



2 comments:

  1. Yum. I will definitely try this version soon. And I agree with Frank: everything is better with bacon. Thanks for joining me this week, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting this project Cam. I never knew you could eat raw beets.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.